Not many people are aware of localization testing in the software industry. Localization testing is a process through which a specific application or product earlier designed for a particular market is made available to foreign markets. In what way? Keep reading! This process is a must because businesses can ensure that users are having the same experience in all markets.
Localization testing makes sure that your website or application can reach as many users as possible globally. That way, it increases your chances of success worldwide. Let’s learn more about it in detail and understand its necessity.
What is Localization Testing?
Localization testing is an intuitive software customization process. It allows you to test and ensure that your product is understood in other languages. In short, testing is all about checking the localized version. However, you need high-quality localization testing services to achieve perfection.
The process checks whether the product is in line with the geographical location native to your website or application. Besides, it includes the translation of the native language strings into your targeted languages. Apart from the language requirement, the product should comply with the graphical user interface or GUI as well.
Hence, these two parameters come under localization testing. And it makes equal efforts to match your product with the requirements of your target market. The testing is focused on quality checking the parameters associated with content, GUI, and linguistics. Precisely, it includes everything that dictates the locale settings.
Suppose you have an application intended for the US market. But you have plans to expand it internationally after it’s released. In that case, you need the best localization testing services that allow you to translate the app into foreign languages. As such, there won’t be a language barrier preventing the users from having a great experience with your product.
Various factors constitute the basis of testing including, but not limited to –
- Time and date format including numeric
- Keyboard layout
- Data sorting, collation, and alignment
- Different color schemes, symbols, and icons
- Graphics, images, and written texts that might be considered sensitive or misinterpreted
- Specific legal requirement
Why is Localization Testing a Must?
If you decide to take your product to the international market, localization testing is crucial. It allows you to explore new markets and expand your customer base. That way, it increases the revenue of your company while making your brand visible worldwide. Here are some reasons why good localization testing is so important.
- Localization, internationalization, and translation occur before testing. Errors and bugs that were introduced during the process are identified through testing.
- Localization testing ensures whether or not the specific characters are correct. And this might include salutations, names, currencies, numbers, dates, etc. Moreover, products targeted at Asian markets should handle sophisticated characters. As such, it saves you from misaligned menus, cut-off words, and text expansion.
- Certain elements of the application or updates might vary when it comes to multiple geographies. But the purpose is to deliver content that is globally accepted. Testing makes sure that localized versions are consistent and accurate with the source product. In other words, the product stays intact to the original brand.
- The teams handling the testing consider several factors, such as ethnicity and color, to ensure that users feel local. Culture depicts how people think and will use the product.
- Software products are released globally at the same time for every feature. Good testing ensures proper agility and speed so that users can have a great experience when a certain feature is released worldwide.
- Testing ensures that the flow and context of each localized product work great for each user.
- Localization testing ensures quick, budget-friendly means to fix issues. As such, the localized product becomes more user-friendly in different ways.
- Only good localization testing can help you steer clear of issues that might cost you a fortune and harm your reputation if they remain undetected.
Scope of Localization Testing
Different procedures need different types of testing resources. So, it is crucial to have a precise and clear understanding of every testing procedure. Here are some issues that localization testing can handle with ease.
- Finds bugs in strings and concatenated strings that are composed by using placeholders.
- Localized testing identifies the presence of scrambled web pages and complicated dialog boxes.
- Takes care of all the non-functional features of the product.
- Identifiesissues relating to layout and user interface including missing or redundant controls, alignment, and overlapping of content. Thus, the developers may correct it.
- Addresses issues regarding text expansion, such as truncations and text bleeding.
- Finds certain issues relating to the “search and replace” feature.
- Rectifiesincorrect calendar formats along with time and date that should match with the geographical locale.
- Manages files that include extended characters found on the directory path or filename.
- Sorts issues relating to grammar and language of the target market.
- Rectifiesdifferent types of bugs responsible for converting different currencies to home currency. Also, it resolves the issue of the monetary symbol of the area or country in which the product operates.
- Commands key sequences and printed documentation are checked as well.
- Tackles the situation when the product is battling unmatched numeric formats, incorrect metric conversions, separators, and negatives.
- Address situations that involve omitted politically sensitive content.
Advantages of Localization Testing
Let’s also look at the advantages of localization testing:
- Localization testing helps you create a high-quality, satisfying user experience.
- It makes the application scalable and flexible.
- It analyses and detects defects in early-stage and reduces the overall time for testing.
- Testing reduces the overall cost required for support and testing.
Disadvantages of Localization Testing
Of course, we may mention that there can be some cons to the process.
- Sometimes understanding a different culture and region becomes time-consuming. Thus, the majority of businesses hire localization testing teams.
- Depending on a specific region, the Double-Byte Character Set storage might vary. As such, it delays the testing activity.
- On rare occasions, the linguistic and domain experts for a particular region might be expensive.
In an attempt to cope with an interpreted product that meets the geographical and cultural requirements of your target market, you should implement appropriate business processes. Besides, you should be aware of the regulatory and governmental requirements that are innate to a specific region. It is why you need to localize your business and test everything before launch. That way, customers patronize your products differently and bestow you with an impressive return on investment.